- 1 Tbsp . Tastealotta Basil Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp . black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 3 to 4 large carrots finely diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp . flour
- 2 1/4 Tbsp . Tastealotta Butter Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 ounces red wine (more or less to taste)
- 2 Tbsp . tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp . Tastealotta Traditional Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 6 - 7 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 egg beaten
- Grated Parmesan cheese optional
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Grease an ovenproof dish (9 x 13 or oval).
Sauté carrots in the Tastealotta Basil Extra Virgin Olive Oil until just tender.
Add the onions and sauté for a few minutes.
Add the ground beef and season with the black pepper and thyme. Cook until browned; drain the fat.
Add the Tastealotta Butter Extra Virgin Olive Oil and peas.
Sprinkle the flour and stir until combined.
Add the tomato paste, wine and Tastealotta Traditional Balsamic Vinegar.
Reduce slightly then add the chicken stock. Allow to reduce down until you have a thick, meaty gravy.
Season to your taste.
Pour mixture into the ovenproof dish.
Spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over the top.
Brush with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (if using).
Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potato topping is brown.