Cream of Roasted Pepper & Tomato Soup with Tastealotta Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
A delicious upgrade to plain old tomato soup - with delicious layered flavors of roasted bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil, and Romano cheese.
- 2 ounces cans tomato puree 28 each
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 large red bell peppers (roasted seeded, peeled and choppeOR 1 jar of roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 3 Tastealotta Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely diced
- 4 cloves large garlic minced
- 1 leaves bunch fresh basil (washed dried and torn - reserving 6 small sprigs for garnish)
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
In a medium heavy stockpot (5 quart), heat one tablespoon of Tastealotta Tuscan Herb Olive Oil over medium-high heat.
Add the onion and sauté until translucent, for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
Add the white wine and reduce by half.
Add the stock, roasted peppers, tomato puree, basil leaves and oregano to the pot. Lower the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove the pot from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree the hot soup until the consistency is smooth and creamy.
Add the heavy cream and Romano cheese - stir to combine.
Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve individual bowls of soup, each drizzled with approximately 1 teaspoon of Tastealotta Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and a sprig of fresh basil.