French Onion Soup
This French Onion Soup has amazing depth of flavor!
- 3 slices red onions sliced into medium thick
- 2 slices white or yellow onions sliced into medium thick
- 1/3 cup Tastealotta Butter Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 1/4 Tsp . sugar
- 2 ounce cans (14 canlow sodium chicken broth
- 2 ounce cans (14 canlow sodium beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp . Tastealotta 18 yr. Traditional Balsamic Vinegar
- Gruyere Parmesan or Asiago cheese (chards or coarsely grated)
- 1 slices sourdough baguette sliced into 1" thick
- Tastealotta Hojiblanca EVOO
- chopped parsley for garnish
In a large, non-stick pan, heat the Tastealotta Butter Olive Oil over medium heat and add onions.
Sauté onions until they become limp and then sprinkle them with sugar. Stir well.
Caramelize onions thoroughly until they are a rich brown color, turning them over and over. This requires constant attention to avoid burning the onions.
After onions are caramelized, add one can of beef broth to the pan and stir well to incorporate all of the flavor.
Pour mixture into a stock pot.
Add remaining beef and chicken broth, wine and bay leaf. Bring to a slow boil.
Add sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
Add the Tastealotta 18 yr. Traditional Balsamic Vinegar and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Allow the soup to cool and then reheat just before serving. If soup becomes too thick, add some beef broth.
Brush the baguette slices with Tastealotta Hojiblanca EVOO.
Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet and toast in the oven.
To serve, ladle the heated soup into oven-proof bowls, top with a toasted baguette slice and cheese.
Place bowls on a baking sheet and place under the broiler to melt the cheese.
Remove from broiler and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
if your bowls are not oven-proof, add the cheese to the baguette slices near the end of the toasting stage and then place the cheesy baguette slices on top of each bowl of soup.