- 1/2 inch red onion cut into 3/8 dice
- 3 pounds tomatoes cored and cut into 3/8 inch dice, heirloom preferred
- 1 1/2 English cucumbers peeled, seeded and cut into 3/8 dice
- 1 Tbsp . + 1/2 Tsp. kosher salt or more to taste
- 5 Tsp . fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp . Tastealotta Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp . Tastealotta Basil Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp . minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 Tsp . minced fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp . Tastealotta Sherry Reserva Vinegar
- 2 cups cubed French bread
- 1 inch large red pepper seeded and cut into 3/8 dice
In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup of the onion, 1 cup of the tomatoes, 3/4 cup of the cucumbers, 1/2 Tsp. salt, 1 Tsp. of the lemon juice, 1 Tbsp. of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, the parsley and pepper.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
In a food processor, combine the remaining onion with the remaining 4 Tsp. lemon juice, 1 Tbsp. salt, garlic, thyme, vinegar and bread.
Puree until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Add the remaining tomatoes and cucumbers along with the bell pepper.
Puree until the mixture is completely smooth, 2 to 4 minutes. Season with pepper.
Transfer the soup to a large bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
Just before serving, transfer the soup to the food processor. With the motor running, slowly stream in the remaining 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 2 Tbsp. Basil Olive Oil and puree for 1 minute.
Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
To serve, top the soup with a spoonful of diced vegetables and a spoonful of crème fraiche (optional).
If you are not planning to serve the soup with the chopped vegetables, omit Steps 1-2 and include all of the vegetables in Step 3.