- 1 pound Great White Northern Beans rinse & picked over
- 1 medium celery rib coarsely chopped
- 2 large shallots diced
- 1 large carrot peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 pound smoked bacon diced
- 2 cloves large of garlic coarsely chopped
- 5 quarts chicken broth or stock vegetable stock, or cold water
- 1 - 2 " sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 dried bay leaf
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste (at least 1 tablespoon recommended if not using stock)
1/2 cup Robust Olio Nuovo such as FS17, Coratina/Frantoio, or Empeltre
Combine all the ingredients except for the olive oil in a large slow cooker.
Set the cooker to high for 6 hours.
Once the beans are tender, taste and adjust seasoning.
Drain the beans with a slotted spoon and serve slathered in EVOO with crusty bread.