Roasted Red Pepper & Caramelized Balsamic Onion Jam
This condiment is both savory and pungent with the addition of the Cayenne Chili Olive Oil. It is not designed to be over the top but, rather, accentuate the food it's served with.
- 1 cup large yellow onion thinly sliced (about 1 , packed)
- 1 jar roasted red peppers drained and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp . Tastealotta Fig Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp . Tastealotta Melgarejo Hojiblanca EVOO divided
- 1 Tbsp . (or to tastTastealotta Cayenne Chili Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp . fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tsp . Kosher salt or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a heavy bottomed sauté pan (cast iron is best), heat 2 tablespoons of the Tastealotta Melgarejo Hojiblanca EVOO over medium heat.
Add the onion and season with salt.
Slowly cook down the onions until they become caramelized. This will take about 20 minutes with constant stirring - this will coax out the sweet complex flavor of the onions without burning them.
During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the chopped peppers, Tastealotta Fig Balsamic Vinegar, freshly ground black pepper and thyme.
Increase the heat to medium and continue stirring and cooking to reduce the balsamic vinegar.
Add the hot mixture to the bowl of a food processor or blender along with 1 tablespoon (or to tastof Tastealotta Cayenne Chili Olive Oil and 1 tablespoon of the Tastealotta Melgarejo Hojiblanca EVOO.
Pulse to desired consistency.
Adjust seasoning as desired.
Spoon into a jar and allow to cool.
Serve with vegetable crudités, crackers, pork, chicken, sausages, etc.
Can be stored in a sealed jar, chilled for up to 1 week. Yield: approximately 1 cup